But the best fat burning foods to speed up metabolism for weight loss are the same ones that help you build muscle and stay healthy.
Metabolism turns the foods you eat into the energy fuel you need to do everything you do. When fat burning foods speed up your metabolism for weight loss, they cause a higher energy calorie-burning effect.
So what fat burning foods are the best fat burning foods for weight loss?
Not all foods have the same calorie-burning effect. The lowest effect comes from pure fats and the highest thermic effect is from lean protein.
The 10 Best Fat Burning Foods for Weight Loss
1. Low Fat Plain Yogurt is a good healthy source of protein and calcium. And both have been shown to speed up metabolism. One study found that dieters lost twice as much weight when they got at least 1,200 mg of calcium a day compared to those who got less calcium.
2. Omega-3 Fish like salmon, besides being an excellent source of protein, has been found to “reduce body fat”. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been shown to help burn calories and decrease appetite.
3. Soy Foods, especially edamame and tofu, are healthy protein foods that help to raise metabolism and lower your body fat percentage.
4. Poultry, in its leanest form, is one of the best fat burning foods, because your body uses more calories to digest it. Just make sure to always choose chicken or turkey breast (without skin) for best results.
5. Eggs are also an excellent source of balanced protein to help you burn off excess fat and hold onto muscle while you’re losing weight.
6. Vinegar uses acid to help your body break down excess fat.
7. Citrus Fruit has been shown to help improve insulin levels to make you feel less hungry. Lemons, oranges and grapefruits are also high in fiber and water and low in calories, which all help with weight loss.
8. Chili Peppers, the hotter the better, have been shown to be fat burning foods that can rev up your metabolism and help you burn calories.
10. 100% Whole Grains, and other high fiber foods, help keep insulin levels low to boost your metabolism after a meal. But be sure to stay away from all refined grains, because they can cause an insulin spike that slows down your metabolism and makes your body start storing fat.
Are you surprised green tea didn’t make the top 10 list of fat burning foods?
Although research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found green tea with caffeine can speed up metabolism, to get any significant results you’d have to drink way too many cups a day.
So instead, just stick with a healthy low-calorie diet that includes regular daily exercise and our 10 best fat burning foods for weight loss.
Fat Burning Foods for Weight Loss 5 Step Meal Plan
1. Choose healthy vegetables like broccoli, green beans or salad greens.
2. Combine with high protein foods, such as chicken, fish, yogurt or eggs.
3. Add small amounts of whole grains or starchy complex carbs, like brown rice, rye bread, oats or sweet potatoes, within your calorie needs.
4. Include only a few (1 to 3 a day) high fiber fruits, like grapefruit and other water-rich fruit. And also drink plenty of water in-between meals.
5. Keep calories within a specific limit – never less than 800 a day. And include high quality supplements to help meet your nutritional needs.
Plus, be sure to use all of the above top 10 best fat burning foods that speed up metabolism, since they’re also excellent foods for weight loss.
More Commonsense Health for You:
How to Lose Weight Fast and Safe
Foods High in Fiber & Fiber Rich Foods
Health Benefits of Exercise & Weight Training
List of High Protein Foods Best Sources of Protein