It’s certainly not necessary to starve yourself to reduce body fat or spend hours every day sweating your body fat off at the gym.
But, in order to reduce body fat percentage numbers permanently you’ll have to make some lifestyle changes and learn some healthy new habits.
And if you put your mind to it, you’ll be the proud new owner of a brand new body in just a few short months. The twelve steps below are the best ways to reduce body fat. Just take it one step at a time to reach your destination.
How to Reduce Body Fat Percentage in 12 Steps
1. Build more muscle. One of the best ways to reduce body fat is weight training. As you increase lean muscle mass you burn more calories.
2. Eat for great health. When you eat for great health you’re making sure to have the necessary energy to exercise and enjoy your life.
3. Avoid refined carbs. Sugar and other refined carbohydrates, zap your energy, ruin your health and contribute to excess body fat. Stick with whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and other high fiber food.
4. Enjoy your protein. To make sure you reduce fat and not muscle when losing weight, it’s essential to get enough protein. Use low calorie high protein shakes for mini meals. And have fun adding fruit or flavorings.
5. Drink more water. As you up your water intake to at least 8 glasses a day, the less hungry and more refreshed you’ll feel.
6. Increase activity. If you’re eating less calories, low impact physical activity, like walking, swimming and yoga for at least 30 minutes a day, burns fat, builds a strong lean body and helps boost metabolism activity.
7. Know your calories. When we eat unconsciously, calories start adding up. Make sure you’re not storing up more than you burn for energy.
8. Have 4-6 mini meals. Instead of 3 big meals a day, go for 4 to 6 small meals. It helps increase metabolism and burn extra calories.
10. Eliminate sodas. Sodas are bad for your health and add unnecessary calories. Learn to love drinking pure, clean, calorie-free water.
11. Enjoy other pleasures. Whenever possible, indulge in simple healthy activities that you enjoy (besides eating). Make a list and have fun.
12. Get much stronger. Strength training improves flexibility, increases fitness, strengthens joints and bones, builds muscle and helps reduce fat.
Now that you know how to reduce body fat percentage, the rest is up to you. Just add one step at a time and increase your pace slow and easy.
Phelan S, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, Wing RR. Obesity Research. Are the Eating and Exercise Habits of Successful Weight Losers Changing? Obesity 2006;14:710–716.
Gardner CD, Kiazand A, Alhassan S, et al. Journal of the American Medical Association. Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN diets for change in weight and related risk factors among overweight premenopausal women: the A TO Z Weight Loss Study: a randomized trial. JAMA 2007;297:969–77.
Ludwig DS, Peterson KE, Gortmaker SL. The Lancet. Relation between consumption of sugar–sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis. Lancet 2001;357:505–508.
Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, et al. American Journal of Epidemiology. Body size and fat distribution as predictors of coronary heart disease among middle-aged and older US men. Am J Epidemiol 1995;141:1117–27.
Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, et al. New England Journal of Medicine. A randomized trial of a low–carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2082–90.
Haskell WL, Lee IM, Pate RR, et al. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007;39:1423–34.