So before you develop dementia symptoms, memory loss or some other form of senility, let’s see how to prevent dementia naturally.
Dementia, accompanied by memory loss, is a progressive degenerative brain disease. The main causes of dementia are poor nutrition, alcohol, aids, stroke, damaged blood vessels or a combination of these.
Alzheimer’s disease is by far the most common form of dementia.
About four and a half million Americans currently have Alzheimer’s disease. And by the year 2050 the statistics are expected to more than triple.
Symptoms of Dementia and Alzheimer’s
These are the main Alzheimer’s disease and dementia symptoms:
- Memory loss can begin with subtle changes in forgetfulness and grow into difficulty organizing thoughts and processing information.
- Language difficulties are common, like the inability to come up with the right words or problems understanding what others mean.
- Inappropriate judgment can show up in various ways, like putting the TV remote control in the freezer, giving away large sums of money or wearing next nothing outside in very cold weather.
- Problems with everyday tasks could start with difficulty in making a simple phone call, fixing a meal or even getting dressed.
- Personality changes and mood swings can take someone with Alzheimer’s from calmness to tears or anger for no reason.
Dementia symptoms slowly and painfully eat away at a person’s identity and ability to think, talk, eat and walk. And eventually, it becomes fatal.
Promising Dementia Prevention Research
While searching for an Alzheimer’s disease cure, researchers found that dementia is far less common in populations that eat lots of fish.
Over the past 35 years, exciting research on fish oil has shown that omega 3 fish oil can greatly improve the brain development of a fetus and a person’s functioning brain power from childhood through old age.
In many studies around the world, omega 3 fish oil has also been shown to reduce heart disease, arthritis, depression, migraines, psoriasis, prostate and breast cancer, diabetes, stroke and other chronic conditions.
And new research, published in the Archives of Neurology, adds a 50% lower risk of Alzheimer’s to the long list of fish oil health benefits.
However, the typical U.S. diet tends to be very low in omega 3 fish oil and very high in omega 6 vegetable oils, which causes an imbalance.
Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements & Dementia
“If you have a high level of DHA” (a fatty acid found in omega 3 fish), the researchers concluded, “it reduces your risk of dementia by about half”.
As Dr. Greg Cole from the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at UCLA’s School of Medicine said, “This shows in a prospective study that DHA is the only plasma lipid to cut the risk for developing dementia.”
And Dr. Ernest Schaefer, director at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, states, “Everything we know suggests that supplements would be as effective as eating fish.”
Plus “you can take fish oil supplements to avoid mercury contamination.”
So get started soon. Otherwise, dementia symptoms could cause memory loss to set in and you may forget your how-to-prevent-dementia plan.
More Commonsense Health for You:
Healthiest Foods for Eating Healthy
Top 10 Omega 3 Fish Oil Health Benefits
Common Sense Health Tips for Healthy Living
Best Antioxidant Foods & Anti-Aging Supplements