But, long or short, for most of us, learning how to naturally overcome depression and anxiety is not only possible, it’s a simple process.
And since antidepressants are the most commonly prescribed drug in the U.S., knowing how to overcome depression naturally is clearly vital.
The “black dog of depression,” as Churchill called it, is now epidemic.
And although occasionally feeling sad or “down” is only human, anxiety and depression affect how we see the world around us. And a consistent down-in-the-dumps view robs us of our natural ability to enjoy life.
7 Simple Steps for How to Overcome Depression Naturally
Over 125 million people worldwide suffer from debilitating depression. And depression is a major cause of failed health, relationships and finances. So, depression symptoms are not something that should be taken lightly.
But even though drugs and therapy are the usual solutions, in many cases, overcoming depression naturally can be even more effective long-term.
So instead of steadily singing-the-blues, it’s time to start overcoming depression naturally and begin directing your feet to the sunny side of the street. Here are the 7 most powerful ways of overcoming depression naturally:
1. Get out into the light of day. It’s natural to spend time outside. But often our lifestyle doesn’t support outdoor activity. About 20 minutes of daylight, without sunglasses, can make all the difference.
2. Eat a super wholesome diet. Studies show depressed people eat more sweets and drink more coffee and alcohol than those who seldom experience depression. So follow these healthy eating guidelines:
- Increase whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry.
- Eliminate high glycemic index foods, coffee and alcohol.
3. Socialize with positive people. Actually, just having a friendly chat with a check out counter clerk can help. But best of all is to have a community of supportive extended family to share the joys of life with.
4. Be active and exercise daily. A half-hour of regular physical activity helps you overcome depression and anxiety and sleep better.
5. Include good-mood nutrients. Even with a great diet you can’t get all the nutrients you need to balance hormones and overcome depression. So include a good multiple with vitamin D and these extra supplements:
- Omega 3 fish oil with EPA and DHA has been shown to improve mood, serotonin levels, hormone balance and even clinical depression. So eat more fish and take 1000 mg of quality omega 3 fish oil a day.
- Vitamin B complex is known to be essential to emotional health. But B vitamins are easily destroyed by alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, stress, refined foods and high glycemic sugars. So you need extra.
- C with bioflavonoids has been found to be low in 30% of depressed patients. And stress, smoking, aspirin, birth control pills and many other drugs and medications increase your need for vitamin C.
- Multi-Mineral complex, especially calcium, magnesium and zinc, help stabilize moods. And lack of sufficient minerals can cause nervousness, apprehension, mood swings, irritability and depression.
6. Relax and get enough sleep. As a result of caffeine intake and other stimulants, most people don’t get enough rest. In order to overcome depression, it’s important to learn how to get a good nights sleep.
7. Learn to focus on the positive. It takes work and persistence to learn how to focus on the positive aspects of your life with an attitude of gratitude. But it’s a habit that can change your life for better forever.
Fully understanding all the warning signs of depression can also help.
But now that you know how to overcome depression naturally, it’s time to get started on these 7 steps to overcoming depression and anxiety.
More Commonsense Health for You:
The Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Exercise Benefits for Overcoming Depression
Top 10 Healthiest Foods for Eating Healthy Meals
Stress Consequences and Stress Management Tips