And learning the ways to increase metabolism and how to increase metabolism is easy.
Your metabolism is the mechanism that turns food into the fuel that gives your body energy. And by increasing metabolism, you can burn more calories at a faster rate, even when you’re sitting or sleeping.
This helps make it easier to lose weight and stay healthy in the process.
So, if you want to look and feel your very best, lose weight more easily and keep it off, here’s how to increase metabolism naturally and safely.
Six Natural Ways to Increase Metabolism
- Get a move on it. When you exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, you increase your metabolism rate for the following 24 hours. All physical activity adds up to boost metabolism – walking farther when you go shopping, taking the stairs instead of an elevator, doing more work around the house or walking the dog – it all helps.
- Build more muscle. You get more metabolism mileage from muscle tissue than anything else. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, regardless of any other factor. Low protein diets cause muscle loss, but you can gain muscle and lose fat with a healthy high protein high fiber diet combined with aerobic exercise and weight training. So, to increase metabolism naturally, start weight training as soon as possible.
- Eat many mini-meals. The longer you wait between meals the more your metabolism conserves energy by slowing down. Be sure to get at least 800 calories daily and, to increase metabolism, eat 4 to 6 mini-meals every 2 to 3 hours, beginning with breakfast. Small, frequent meals boost metabolism, stabilize blood sugar, provide a steady source of energy and help keep you from eating too much later in the day.
- Master a healthy diet. Make sure you get optimum protein to maintain good muscle tone. Include more healthy high fiber foods and plenty of fat burning foods that speed up metabolism. And drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
- Chill out and relax. Your body has to work hard to keep your temperature at 98.6. So drinking ice water can help to increase metabolism. Plus, since over 70% of your body functions take place in water, not getting enough can cause a slow-down of all your systems, including metabolism. And as far as chilling out goes, you also need to do your best to cut down on mental and emotional stress.
- Pump up your hormones. It’s important to get your intake of healthy fats and high protein foods right to stabilize your blood sugar and have a well functioning thyroid and glandular system. Around 25% of your calories should come from healthy fats. So, if you’re not already doing it, consider taking omega 3 fish oil capsules as a low calorie fatty acid supplement.
Although learning how to increase metabolism naturally requires making some changes, increasing metabolism is easy when you combine eating fat burning foods that speed up metabolism with all the other ways to increase metabolism.
More Commonsense Health For You:
How to Reduce Body Fat Percentage
Benefits of Exercise and Weight Training
How to Stop Emotional Eating and Overeating
Build Muscle to Lose Fat – Fat vs Muscle Diagram
Mozaffarian D, Hao T, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Hu FB. New England Journal of Medicine. Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men. N Engl J Med 2011;364:2392–404.