Learning how to eat less can be a challenge. But these permanent healthy weight loss tips and useful tricks will help ease your way.
How to Eat Less with Fewer Food Calories
These 12 ways to eat less calories will help you achieve your goals:
1. Serve portions in the kitchen. Research shows that those who dish out servings at the kitchen counter, instead of the table, eat less food, with up to 29% fewer calories.
2. Put your food on small plates. An appropriate size serving on a small plate looks big and on a big plate looks small. This “slight of hand” can help you eat 22% less food.
3. Keep your cupboard healthy. You GREATLY improve your odds by getting rid of ALL high calorie, unhealthy foods – it’s a matter of “out of site, out of mind”. After all, it wouldn’t set you back a bit if you were to binge on red peppers, cherry tomatoes and carrots.
4. Drink more calorie-free water. 8 glasses of water intake a day helps you feel fuller and eat less. It’s that simple. Fill up a 2-quart water bottle several times a day and keep it with you at all times.
5. Eat small meals more often. When you eat mini-meals 5 or 6 times a day, it keeps you from getting too hungry and helps you to eat less total calories, stop overeating and maintain normal blood sugar levels.
6. Measure and count calories. Almost everyone who’s successful with healthy permanent weight loss keeps a running tally of foods eaten and food calories written down in a weight loss journal. Eventually you may be able to correctly calculate totals mentally.
7. Increase healthy vegetables. Most fresh vegetables are low in calories, healthy and filling – especially when eaten with some high protein food. So choose often from the healthiest vegetables list and fill up first on plain nutritious veggies at most meals.
8. Overcome your sweet tooth. Studies show sweets are addictive and sweet drinks and foods stimulate appetite. So it’s essential to kick the sugar habit and to overcome sugar addiction.
9. Brush your teeth more often. If you’re like most people, when you’re mouth and teeth feel clean, you’re less inclined to eat. So brush after every meal – it’s good dental health too.
10. Always take a shopping list. 87% of people who shop on an empty stomach without a list end up buying food that doesn’t support their goals. Make a list, check labels and never shop hungry.
11. When eating out plan ahead. Whether it’s a restaurant, party or family gathering, a plan helps you stay in control and avoid the 35-200% extra spontaneous calories. Here’s how to eat less when eating out:
- Don’t go starving,
- Avoid breadbaskets,
- Choose what’s healthy,
- Include extra vegetables,
- Order the smallest portion,
- Stay away from buffet tables,
- Pace yourself with the slowest,
- Start with salad, without dressing,
- Pack half in a doggie bag first thing,
- Plan fruit as dessert once you’re home.
12. Slow down, focus and enjoy. It takes 15 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that it’s no longer on “empty.” Eat less with each bite, chew slowly, pause and appreciate the taste of your food.
Learning how to eat less with fewer food calories takes undoing years of bad habits. But people have done it, so you can do it too!