Our healthy chicken soup recipe is also great to sip warm for naturally clearing sinuses and helping to relieve cold and flu symptoms.
So chicken soup is not just food for the soul. Since Ancient Egyptian times, healthy chicken soup has been prescribed for its curative powers too.
Different cultures all over the world have used it as “natural penicillin.”
And now there’s scientific evidence that backs up this homemade chicken soup folk remedy. Researchers have found that healthy chicken soup has an anti-inflammatory effect that eases the symptoms of illness.
Homemade Chicken Soup Recipes
Preparation and Cooking Time: from 2½ to 3 hours.
Calories: about 150 calories for each 1 cup serving.
Things You’ll Need:
- A 12-quart stockpot of homemade chicken stock
- Cuisinart or other food processor
Learning how to make chicken soup is easy. But the process takes patience. First of all you have to know how to make chicken stock.
1. When your chicken stock is ready, with ALL the fat removed, put the stockpot on a burner, turn the heat to high and add the following:
- 1½ cups raw brown rice (mixed basmati brown rice and wild rice is good) Rice takes about 1½ hours to cook in the chicken stock.
2. While the stock comes to a boil (this takes about 1 hour), prepare and add the following vegetables and seasonings to the soup pot:
- ½ cup dry vegetable broth (our preference is Pacific Natural Foods Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth)
- 3 medium onions chopped fine (in food processor)
- 3 large peeled sweet potatoes or winter squash chopped small (in food processor)
- (Optional; feel free to add other vegetables like chopped celery, zucchini, summer squash or shredded cabbage, but be careful not to add more than your stockpot can hold without overflowing.)
- 4 to 5 teaspoons of natural sea salt
3. When the soup comes to a boil, turn heat to low, cover and keep at a simmer, while cooking the vegetables for ½ hour to 45 minutes.
4. Then add the following ingredients and cook for another ½ hour:
- (Optional; ½ cup uncooked quinoa)
- 2 to 3 large bunches of kale, Swiss chard, spinach or other dark green leafy veggies – chopped fine
- 4 to 5 cans drained black beans or kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons dry parsley (or 9 sprigs chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 teaspoon shredded dried thyme leaf
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
5. About 15 minutes before the soup is ready to serve add the following:
- 4 cups of chopped leftover chicken or turkey or 2 lbs. of lean ground turkey (pinched into very small bits and added a little at a time)
This healthy chicken soup is great served with a fresh salad and low-fat, low-sodium cheese or sesame tahini spread on hearty rye crackers.
Alternative Chicken Soup Recipe
For chicken noodle soup, instead of brown rice add 4 cups of 100% whole grain cooked noodles to the soup about 15 minutes before serving.
And remember; these homemade chicken soup recipes aren’t engraved in stone. So feel free to have fun experimenting, according to your own taste buds, to create and enjoy your own healthy chicken soup recipe.
Because, not only is eating healthy chicken soup good for your body and soul, making healthy chicken soup is also good for body and soul.
More Commonsense Health for You:
How to Avoid Getting Sick & Stay Healthy
How to Stop Emotional Eating and Overeating
Good Food Digestion & Digestive System Diagram
How to Make Chicken Stock for Chicken Soup Recipes