8 Natural Ways to Prevent Breast Cancer
In spite of the millions of dollars spent on research and new drugs, the overall odds have stayed the same. But the following 8 natural ways to prevent breast cancer can greatly improve your own odds.
Ways to Prevent Breast Cancer
Natural breast cancer prevention requires making some lifestyle changes. Here are the eight most important steps to prevent breast cancer.
1. Be physically active every day. Research shows that women who exercise for at least 30 to 45 minutes a day have a 20-40% lower risk of developing breast cancer than those who are inactive.
2. Eat a cancer prevention diet. To prevent breast cancer, eat a super healthy diet. Increase your phytonutrients (plant nutrients) by eating plenty of highly nutritious vegetables, fruits, whole grains, seeds, nuts and beans, with a focus on the cancer prevention foods below.
- High fiber foods help reduce cancer-causing forms of estrogen in your bloodstream and can decrease breast cancer risk up to 54%. Healthy high fiber foods include fresh fruits, whole grains, beans and vegetables rich in carotenoid, flavonoid and cruciferous phytonutrients.
- Soybeans and healthy soy products such as tofu, tempeh and miso have been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer. But avoid highly sweetened and refined soy products, such as soymilk and soy oils.
- Allium vegetables, such as garlic, onions and leeks, help neutralize cancer-causing free radicals and prevent cancer cells from multiplying. They are among the best foods to eat to prevent breast cancer. For optimum allium benefits, eat allium foods raw as often as possible.
4. Eliminate or limit alcohol consumption. Studies show people who drink two or more alcoholic beverages a day develop breast cancer at nearly twice the rate as those who drink no alcohol at all. And the risk of breast cancer increases with each additional drink.
5. Don't smoke or breathe in smoke. Women who smoke or are constantly exposed to second-hand smoke are up to 40% more likely to develop breast cancer. But quitting rapidly improves your statistics.
6. Decrease fat intake and eat healthy fats. A diet high in fat, especially trans fat, is linked to a higher rate of breast cancer. But monounsaturated and fish oils are linked to lower rates of breast cancer. Reduce overall fat to 25-30% of calories. Eliminate trans fat, decrease saturated fats and increase your intake of olive oil and omega 3 fish oil.
7. Reduce your exposure to carcinogens. Avoid cancer-causing foods, unnecessary x-rays, taking hormone replacement therapy, inhaling or physical contact with insecticides, herbicides or other carcinogens.
8. Take high quality nutritional supplements. To prevent breast cancer and other diseases you need supplements that include all the essential vitamins and minerals. Particularly helpful for reducing your risk of breast cancer are vitamins A, D, E, cruciferous and omega 3 fish oil.
These eight ways to prevent breast cancer can also help you to stay vibrant and healthy, develop a strong, resilient immune system and reduce your risk of colds, flues, viruses and many other degenerative diseases.
Articles you may also enjoy:
Women and Exercise and Fitness Tips
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer
Smoking Health Risks and Tobacco Facts
Healthy Permanent Weight Loss Strategies that Work
You'll also want to sign up to receive our free Common Sense Health Newsletter sent out weekly. This only makes good common sense!
Just enter your email address below:
Posted in: Women's Health, Health Conditions
By Moss Greene Google+
Digg this article!
Email this article