The Health Benefits of Walking
As a baby, walking was one of your first skills. And the health benefits of walking for exercise are just as important.
Think how proud you were when you took that first major-milestone step. And you can be just as proud of yourself now, IF you're still walking!
Research on the health benefits of walking shows that regular daily walking can make a major difference in life. After all, an old fashioned walk is your body's most natural form of exercise.
Plus, walking is probably the easiest, cheapest, safest and one of the most pleasant things you can do to greatly improve your health and fitness.
The Health Benefits of Walking Exercise Research
Many in-depth research studies have shown that regular daily exercise walking can cut your risk of death (from any and all diseases) in half!
Walking at a moderate 3 mile per hour (mph) pace for at least three and a half hours every week (30 minutes a day) has been shown to dramatically reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, hip fractures, glaucoma, osteoporosis, cancer, depression and many other health problems.
And, as a bonus, exercise walking burns the following calories per mile.
Body Weight in Pounds
This means a 140-pound woman at a moderate 3-mph pace can burn:
- 111 calories in 30 minutes or
- 222 calories in 60 minutes of walking.
The 7 Health Benefits of Walking
Just 30-minutes of exercise walking a day has been proven to help you:
1. Reach and maintain a healthy weight - Walking exercise reduces your body fat, increases lean muscle tissue, improves metabolism and burns calories. Combined with a healthy lifestyle and nutritious eating, walking can help you achieve long-lasting weight control.
2. Improve blood pressure and cholesterol - Daily exercise walking has been shown to be just as effective for lowering high blood pressure, decreasing (bad) LDL cholesterol and increasing (good) HDL cholesterol as taking risky medications with unpleasant side effects.
3. Reduce and manage type 2 diabetes - Walking improves your body's natural ability to process sugar (glucose tolerance) and to maintain a healthy weight. This helps prevent or even reverse type 2 diabetes.
4. Lower your risk of heart attack and stroke - Based on large studies of both women and men, just 30 minutes of walking a day greatly improves your circulation and helps keep your heart and blood vessels healthy.
5. Decrease stress and prevent depression - Regular exercise walking is a great way to improve your mood, breathing, peaceful sleeping and overall energy and to reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
6. Stay strong, active and healthy - As you age, exercise walking can improve your stamina and keep you fit. Walking exercise strengthens bones, muscles and joints, helps prevent falls and hip fractures, improves your immune system and extends your life expectancy.
7. Prevent numerous other conditions – And the list goes on and on. Studies show that daily exercise walking can also relieve arthritis and back pain and help to prevent osteoporosis, colon and breast cancer, impotence, constipation and many other health problems.
And you don't need a prescription to get all these many health benefits of walking. You just need a commitment, a dose of self-discipline and a good comfortable pair of shoes. Here's more info on walking shoes for women.
More CommonSenseHealth For You:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Healthy Weight Height Chart for Women
Heart Disease in Women and the Symptoms
Exercise Walking Shoes for Women to Choose
You'll also want to sign up to receive our free Common Sense Health Newsletter sent out weekly. This only makes good common sense!
Just enter your email address below:
Posted in: Healthy Living, Women's Health, Weight Loss
By Moss Greene Google+
Digg this article!
Email this article