By following these eight natural ways to prevent cancer, you can not only help prevent cancer, but you’ll also dramatically reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure and hip fractures.
So these 8 ways to prevent cancer offer many other healthy benefits.
But making major lifestyle changes takes commitment, time management and persistence. Just start by choosing one or two of these natural ways to prevent cancer and then take it slow and easy – one step at a time.
1. Don’t smoke. Tobacco use and exposure (smoking cigarettes, pipes or cigars, chewing tobacco and second hand smoke) is the single major cause of preventable death in the U.S. and it accounts for one third of all cancer deaths. Smoking health risks include cancers of the lungs, throat, mouth, pancreas, kidneys, bladder, cervix, prostate, colon and rectum.
2. Eat for Immunity. Population studies show that people with diets high in fiber foods, especially colorful, healthy vegetables, fresh fruits and whole grains, and low in animal fat and red meat have much less risk for cancers of the prostate, breast, lung, colon, rectum, stomach and pancreas.
3. Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese increases your risk for cancers of the kidneys, esophagus, endometrium, colon, rectum, uterus, breast and other organs. The more overweight the higher the risk.
4. Exercise regularly. Studies show that at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity for five to seven days every week can lower your risk of colon cancer and possibly even breast cancer.
5. Limit alcohol intake. Alcohol causes cancer of the breast, liver, colon, rectum, pharynx, larynx, mouth, throat and esophagus. And alcohol combined with tobacco use dramatically increases cancer risk. If you drink alcohol, have no more than one a day for women or two a day for men.
6. Practice safe sex. There are more than100 strains of the human papilloma virus (HPV). Sexually transmitted genital HPV infections can cause cancers of the cervix, vagina, vulva, penis, anus and liver.
7. Manage sun-safety. Research clearly shows overexposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun, tanning beds and sun lamps is the number one cause of skin cancer. Limit time in the sun, wear protective clothing and avoid getting sunburns. If you have to be out in the sun between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. make sure you use a sun block of at least 15 SPF.
8. Avoid carcinogens. Clear your environment of toxic chemicals and cancer causing agents. Make sure your air and water are as clean as possible, eat food free of nitrates, toxins and pesticides and limit exposure to radiation sources, such as radon and X-rays. Toxins compromise your immune system, making it harder for your body to defend itself. And exposure to any carcinogen combined with tobacco use significantly increases your risk of developing many different types of cancers.
These eight natural ways to prevent cancer have been proven to reduce the risk of developing cancer and are all within your own personal control.