40 weeks pregnancy stages pictures marks the official end of your pregnancy project. However your baby may not have gotten that memo!
And since your baby is the size of a watermelon now, you’re surely ready.
But even though the calendar says your pregnancy is officially over, about half of all pregnancies go past that 40 week finish line. Just hang in there though, Baby’s birthday should be within the next couple of weeks.
Pictures of Pregnancy 40 Weeks
Some women have a nesting instinct at this point in pregnancy. If you find yourself cleaning the house over and over again, or endlessly stocking up on food for when Baby is born, just take care not to wear yourself out.
You may also find it’s more difficult sleeping at night. Discomfort from your big belly and excitement over your new baby can be just too much. Try different sleeping positions and locations to get more comfortable.
What’s Happening at 40 Weeks Pregnancy Stages?
Healthy baby pregnancy 40 weeks:
- Baby’s lungs are fully developed now.
- About 15% of the body is made up of fat.
- The downy hairs and vernix are mostly gone.
- Your baby continues to grow and put on weight.
- She or he has coordinated reflexes to grasp firmly.
- Baby can blink and respond to light, sound and touch.
Mom’s healthy pregnancy – 40 weeks:
- Time may seem to stand still.
- Be good to yourself and try to relax.
- You will still feel movement every day.
- Your baby will be born in its own good time.
- Baby’s position changes to prepare for delivery.
Once the baby drops down into your pelvis (lightening), it should be a little easier to breathe, although it will put more pressure on your pelvis.
At pregnancy 40 weeks you may be feeling a bit clumsy as your body prepares to stretch the pelvis for labor. Those same hormones that loosen the pelvis will also loosen every joint in your body, so be careful.
And if you think you’re in labor, don’t eat anything. It can cause nausea. But it’s important to drink plenty of water, so you don’t get dehydrated.
Soon you’ll have what you’ve been waiting for – you’ll get to meet your new baby. And at that point you’ll know for sure the journey was worth it all!